Does your personality makes you a drug addict?
Many studies have attempted to determine the personality characteristics that prompt people to use psycho active drugs. Since most of such studies have involved individuals who were already taking drugs the results must be viewed with caution.
In India, Shammugam (1977) studied 212 drug addict and 222 non drug addict as control group using Eysenck Personality Inventory (EPI). The results showed that drug abusers are more extroverted, more neurotic and psychotic and have more criminal tendencies as compared with nondrug users.
But it must here be mentioned that not all people having many and these personality traits are not drug addicts. So we can say that no single personality type is associated with drug use, although the persons possessing above mentioned personality traits are more likely to addicts. Wilker found that drug addicts had high impulsivity, poor frustration tolerance, psychopathic orientation and neurotic.
The Characteristics of Drug Addict:
General Characteristic of the teenager of Drug Addict:
- Smoking in early adolenscence
- Tend to withdeaw from a fun family events and more to confine themselves in their room.
- Hanging out with friends until late at night and rarely even go home .
- Often have fun at parties , night clubs and gathered at the mall.
- Irritable, Selfish and do not want disturbed by a parent or family.
- Avoidance of responsibility appropriate, lazy completing routine task at home.
- Decreased learning achoevement are often absent or late to school.
- Aberrant behaviour such as juvenile delinguency began; stealing, promiscuity and casual sex in groups with friendswho like to get drunk.
Rapid industrialization and urbanization have ushered in a new way of life, with new values like individualism and permissiveness. As a result the age old inhibition, taboos and traditional social control mechanism have ceased to remain in force. Read: How to cure Drug Addiction?
In consequence of recent development in medicinal sciences a variety of potent synthetic substances are produced. This how contributed significantly to drug abuse among the youth.